Pinterest is a very important social network that can no longer be overlooked. Many businesses are using this platform to get more exposure and sales. This week I thought I would add some tips for marketers looking to improve SEO and get more business through Pinterest.
How can you use it to increase sales? How can it lead to more blog traffic? Effective marketing and knowledge of Pinterest can boost your visibility and use rich media ads to capture a whole new audience. It’s said that Pinterest is the Google Search of the Display Network with over 100 million subscribers and hundreds of millions of boards. Each board is categorized by interest so there is an audience for every type of business. “People are planning out really core and important parts of their lives on Pinterest,” Ben Silbermann, Pinterest’s chief executive and co-found, told the New York Times. If you want to get started or increase your effectiveness in using Pinterest, consider these five marketing tips:
Longer, Optimized Descriptions
Unlike many social media platforms, Pinterest allows 500 characters in your description. Users don’t really like reading lengthy descriptions so it’s a good idea to limit yourself to 200-250 characters for best results. To optimize the description it’s best to include keywords, 1-2 hashtags, and a call-to-action. Hashtags makes it easier for users to find your content through their search query and allows your pin to show more often.
Continually Adjust your Campaigns
Because Pinterest is a visually driven site, it’s important to try split testing with a variety of different imagery to optimize click through rates. You can experiment using photos with or without text, new keywords, lower bids, and new audiences. Eventually you’ll find what works for your business and can get the return you’re looking for.
Use Targeted Audiences
Pinterest is not as advanced as other social platforms when it comes to targeting but taking advantage of the features offered is a great way to increase your click through rate. You can show pins based on location, device, gender, and language.
Promote your pins.
(Note that unfortunately promoted pins are currently only available in the US at this time. Canadian businesses are unable to utilize this feature). Promoting pins allows you to pay and get pins seen by your desired audiences in relevant search results, category feeds and home feed. This is a great way to reach the right customer at the right time.
Here are some other important growth and usage stats released by Pinterest:
- The number of Pinners doubled in the past 18 months.
- International users have doubled in the last year and make up about 45 percent of the total.
- People have created more than 130 million boards categorized as Home Decor that represent rooms people have or want to someday redecorate.
- People have created more than 180 million boards related to Food/Drink. Some of these are dinners that people will cook next week. Some are next year’s holiday dinner.
- There are nearly 300 million boards about fashion, created by Pinners looking to discover their sense of style.
- There are more than 30 million education boards created by teachers and parents helping kids learn in a more creative way.
- There are more than 296 million fashion boards.